Saturday, June 14, 2008

Vietnamese Name in Chinese Characters

vinhlong -
I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the following vietnamese name "Bao Uyen" into Chinese.

I actually have little idea of the meaning. I think it was supposed to mean something like "preserve wisdom" But I can't find any character combination that matches this meaning.

Thanks in advance.

Vinh Long

nnt -
Bảo Uyên: 保淵 (渊 simplified character)


There is a Chinese-Vietnamese on-line dictionary here:

http://www27.brinkster.com/hanosoft/

and here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dang.tk/langues/hanviet.htm

You should find the meaning easily...
nnt -
In the previous transcription Bảo Uyên: 保淵, bảo 保 means to protect, to preserve, as in bảo vệ 保衛 bao3 wei4 (simplified 卫 ) , and uyên 淵 yuan1 (simplified 渊) means deep pool (noun) or deep, profound (adjective) as in uyên thâm 淵(渊)深 yuan1 shen1.
There is another possibility for bảo, if you are not sure of the actual meaning is "to preserve". It's bảo 寶 bao3 (precious, treasure) as in bảo bối 寶貝 (宝贝) bao3 bei4 (Sure you know "Shanghai baby"! ).
Both transcriptions are possible.
vinhlong -
Thank you very much for your quick reply NNT! You really helped me out here!

I didn't make the connection between "deep" and "wisdom".

Thanks again!
russianborn2906 -
Anyone would help me to translate this name into chinese :
Nguyen Lie^n Hu)o)ng
And I'm so sorry I don't have Vkey
HashiriKata -
Nguyen Lien Huong =
阮莲香 (Ruǎn Liánxiāng)

"Lian xiang" means "Lotus Fragrance", and that is my best guess for "Lien Huong", but I could be wrong unless you tell me what "Lien Huong" is intended to mean in Vietnamese.
russianborn2906 -
@HashiriKata:
You are spot on! Lien Huong means Lotus Fragrance in Vietnamese.